Let me just start off by saying, this was not the way I had planned or hoped for these posts to turn out. I wanted to document this process, so anyone that was going through it would have some sort of an idea on what to expect for decisions, timeline, etc. However, our situation has become pretty messy and I’ve left out most of the details, but wanted to provide somewhat of an update.
The last I posted, we were in a small wave of progress. The foundation was started and almost done, however, a month went by before they started any sort of framing. Then, it took another two months for them to complete the first and second floor framing- we were told it would take about two weeks.
After that, not only did we see very little progress (over about 45 days between November and mid-December, there were only people there four days), but things just kept getting worse and ultimately between October and January we came to the conclusion that we would need to find another builder… and so we did.
The above photo was taken at the end of April. Our new timeline for completion is November 29th… almost eight months after our originally planned move in date. Which don’t get me wrong, I’m still grateful for. At one point, we weren’t even sure we were going to be able to finish the project. Currently we have electrical rough-ins completed and HVAC rough-in will hopefully happen this week. I think we’ve made ALMOST every design decision we’ll have to make for the time being. That’s the fun part, which I haven’t shared much of!
Building a custom home is not for the faint of heart. The decisions are like a full time job.