When I saw these cookies on Foodgawker, I knew I had to make them for Kyle. He likes unique foods, and these were right up his alley with the pistachio and sea salt. I decided they would be the perfect treat to top off our Valentine’s Day Dinner. I was right. They are DELICIOUS! It should be noted, I used wayyyyy more sea salt for “sprinkling” then was necessary. Make sure you don’t make my mistake. You have to WORK to eat my cookies. It requires you to pick off 80% of the sea salt that I put on top of each cookie. OOPs!! They’re still delicious… just a bit more work to get there 🙂
Dark Chocolate Pistachio Sea Salt Cookies
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. chopped pistachios, shells removed
1 c. dark chocolate chips
Sea salt, for sprinkling on cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.
4. Stir in the pistachios and chocolate chips.
5. Using a medium cookie scoop (about a tablespoon) form balls and place on prepared cookie sheet.
6. Sprinkle tops of cookies with sea salt (NOTE: YOU NEED JUST A LITTLE- as in, maybe 6-8 pieces of sea salt on each cookie. A little goes a long way!)
7. Place cookies in oven and back for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes, before transferring to a wire rack.