We often end up wasting veggies in our household for some reason, so one day when we had a lonely zucchini and plum tomatoes that needed to be used, we decided to throw them in a pan with some olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and cook them up to have as a side. I was pleasantly surprised by how delicious they were! They have become a favorite side of ours.
This past week we had appetizers one night for dinner. My husband loves a good smorgasbord of things, so he is totally OK with having just a bunch of appetizers and a nice beer for dinner (love him for that!).
I knew I wanted to have bruschetta, but not the traditional kind. Mostly just because i’m pregnant and bruschetta bothers me even when my digestive tract isn’t smashed and shoved up to my throat! So, I thought it might be yummy to have the zucchini tomato mixture that we like as a bruschetta topping. Was I ever right! They are delicious!
Zucchini Tomato Bruschetta
1 Tbsp. olive oil
5 Plum Tomatoes
1 medium zucchini
1 tsp. garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 long french baguette
1. Preheat over to 450 degrees.
2. Meanwhile, chop up the zucchini into quite small pieces, a little larger than a pea
4. Chop up the tomato into small pieces, about the size of a dime (these will cook down, so you don’t need to cut them as small).
5. Place about 1 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. garlic into a pan and cook for about 1 minute.
6. Toss zucchini into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, followed by the chopped tomato. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until zucchini are tender.
7. While veggies are cooking, slice the baguette into 1/4-1/2″ slices. Coat one side of each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush. Place on a cooking sheet, olive oil side down. You will want to toast them in the top rack in your oven, so you may need to do these in batches, depending on the size of your oven. Toast for 5-6 minutes, or until the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
8. Arrange about 1 Tbsp. of the zucchini and tomato mixture onto the bread slices. Serve warm.